A quick reflection before we get to far into 2019 with some thoughts from Tim on I on trends and patterns emerging out of work with clients in 2018. Interestingly for us, irrespective of industry, location and size, there were two key collective challenges faced by organisations last year:
- The relentless pace in work– with normal business cycles requiring a sprint pace but over a marathon distance. There appears to be a lack of natural lulls in businesses these days, meaning a more conscious intent is required to create rest/space in the system, to restore and mitigate burn-out
- Whilst we all recognise in the drive to improve performance there is no silver bullet, we have a growing awareness of the need for ‘repetition’ and ‘discipline’. Now these are not sexy terms used that often in business these days, we see the trend for ‘agility’ and ‘flexibility’ ….. but like all things there is a need for balance. To form new habits, patterns and behaviours requires more than a fleeting affair with new approaches. This reminds me of my originating career as a ballet dancer ….. irrespective of the number of years a dancer has been training & performing, there was always the ‘repetition’ and ‘discipline’ to return to the barre each morning and practice the basics. Without this the ability to extend your repertoire and performance could not be achieved
So what trends are you noticing as you reflect on 2018 and launch into 2019 ….
3 simple questions if you have time on this snowy Friday!
- What trends are you noticing internally in your organisation?
- What trends are you noticing externally?
- What will you be paying attention to in 2019?
Have fun out there in the snow